Accommodation & Facilities
Thorney Mire Barn is a comfortable home with generous and luxurious accommodation designed with our guests in mind.
Each guest bedroom is light and spacious. Each has an en-suite with bathrobes, sumptuous towels and luxury bathroom toiletries.
In the dining room, the three south-facing windows provide a superb back-drop for a leisurely breakfast of home made muesli, fresh fruit, freshly made bread and preserves and of course a full English breakfast made with local award winning ingredients. See the Our Food page for more mouthwatering details!
The view from the three south-facing windows provides a superb back-drop for a leisurely breakfast of home made muesli, fresh fruit, freshly made bread and preserves and of course a full English breakfast made with local award winning ingredients.
Please see our Slide Show for more photographs
Garden & Grounds
The garden is south facing with views across pastures and woodlands to the fells beyond. There are two patio areas, that between them benefit from the sunshine all day long. Both patios have hard wood furniture. The garden has decorative borders and areas given over to growing vegetables, herbs and fruit.
The woods are directly opposite Thorney Mire Barn. There is a gate a short distance along the lane where you can enter the woods. Here you can enjoy the peace and the nature of the woodlands whilst relaxing on a grassy bank. The woods are home to red squirrels and many other species of wildlife including roe deer, tawny owls, merlin, kestrel, woodpeckers and several game birds. The woods are also home to our chickens.
Access to 'Garden Room' - ground-floor bedroom
Access to the front door is by three steps or a cambered semi-circular ramp. There is a threshold step into the entrance hall which is 10 cm high, the doorway is 83cm wide, the floor is tiled, there is a slight slope and then the ground floor is level throughout. The Garden Room is accessed directly from the entrance hall.
The main features:
- Light switches are at 1200mm or below
- Plug sockets are above 600mm
- The door to the en-suite shower room opens outwards in to the bedroom to maximise the space inside the bathroom, however, the bathroom is quite small in proportion. Please note that there is only a 600mm gap when entering the Garden Room bathroom. This is not the doorway, but the gap between the toilet and the towel rail before you reach the sink and shower. Unfortunately, this means that access to the bathroom is unlikely to be practical by wheelchair.
And in the en-suite
- The tiled floor is heated and also forms the shower floor, so that there is no step up as with a traditional shower tray
- The electric towel rail has a temperature controller to limit its surface temperature
- The shower mixer tap is 1200mm high
- There is a stool in the shower area
- There are handles around the wc and in the shower
- The wash basin has a lever-operated single mixer tap
We have been constrained by the position of doors and the following door widths have been achieved:
- Main guest outside door: 830mm
- Door from guest hall to 'Garden Room': 750mm
- Door from guest hall to Dining Room: 860mm
- Width of entrance into Garden Room bathroom: 600mm (this is not the doorway, but the gap between the toilet and the towel rail before you reach the sink and shower)
If you are disabled or have special requirements please discuss these with us when you book so that we can do everything in our power to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible. Do please contact us if you have any questions.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- There is a car park at the front of the property for 5 vehicles.
- Assistance with luggage etc is available from the car park to the bedrooms.
- Access to the front door is by three steps or a cambered semi circular ramp. There is a threshold step into the building which is 10 cm high, the door way is 83cm wide, the floor is tiled, there is a slight slope and then the ground floor is level throughout the ground floor.
- A familiarisation tour of the building is given to all guests.
- There are doors from the hallway to the dining room and ground floor bedroom.
- The contact phone number is displayed at the front of the building.
- The nearest main line train station is at Garsdale.
- There are a number of bus services
- Hawes is the nearest town, approx 1.5 miles away.
- There is a taxi service available in the area.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs & Landing
- There are two floors available for the public to use, the first floor is accessed by a staircase and houses two of the guest bedrooms. With the exception of the hall and bathrooms all of the floors are carpeted.
- The stairs have 12 steps that are 20cm high, 27cm deep and 75 cm wide, with a wooden hand rail down one side.
- All doors are FD30 fire doors.
Public Areas – Dining Room
- The dining room is on the ground floor and has a carpeted floor, the door way is 86cm wide.
- Evacuation and fire procedure is detailed in room information pack.
- The building is totally non smoking.
- Mobile phone reception is poor. There are no specific public telephones however guests can use the owner’s telephone.